Grokkist™ is a self-funded social enterprise that celebrates the joy and excitement of sharing knowledge for its own sake, free and for the benefit of all.
Grokkist was founded in 2022 by Danu Poyner, in response to Big Questions in education that he has been thinking about for decades.
Who is this for?
If you're a curious, creative or hands-on person who figures things out by doing, there's a good chance you've found school-based learning to be boring, stifling or irrelevant.
Maybe you're the kind of person who likes to live life by following your interests, feeding your curiosity and grokking stuff as you need to.
If this is resonating, you might be a grokkist!
What does 'grokkist' mean?
Good question, glad you asked! Click to learn more.
We believe every learner deserves a learning journey that sets their soul on fire. Every time.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The key premise of Grokkist is that life-changing learning happens when the machinery of education gets out of the way and a curious learner following their interests is able to connect with a teacher or guide who is as excited about the learner’s experience as they are.
The Grokkist approach to educational design is thus to design out all distracting, harmful and unnecessary elements of traditional learning processes until what remains is an exciting, transformative and wholly resonant encounter for an individual learner.
In other words, at Grokkist we believe in learning without any of the bullshit or boring bits.
What does a soul-igniting learning experience look like?
We can all recognise learning that sets the soul on fire when it happens. It's those times when a teacher or guide says something that opens up your world and sends you hurtling down new paths of possibility.
It's when you stumble upon a sudden encounter that changes the way you look at things forever. Where everything resonates and you feel – just for a moment – as if the universe were speaking directly just to you.
Every soul-igniting learning experience is unique and personal, but together they have a lot in common. Often they seem to happen as if by accident, as much in spite of formal education as because of it. But what if we set out to design them?
What can I do here?
Grokkist is a knowledge-sharing community designed to bring together curious people who love learning with knowledgeable guides with valuable experience to share.
The vision extends a long way, but it's still very early days. Right now, the focus is on finding and attracting pioneer grokkists through our podcast Still Curious and our newsletter Scholé Supplement.
We are looking to partner with educators, facilitators and self-taught practitioners to co-design incredible learning experiences around That Thing that lights them up.
In time, this means the grokkist community will be able to enjoy workshops, cohort-based programs, live events, interactive modules, game-based simulations and a wide assortment of other grokkables.
How can I get involved?
If you support what Grokkist is about and want to help, here are some practical things you can do:
- Subscribe to the newsletter if you haven't already and subscribe to Still Curious on your favourite podcast service
- Tell your friends! Forward the newsletter, share Grokkist stuff on socials, leave a rating or review of the podcast - it all makes a big difference.
- Share your thoughts on what you love about what I'm doing here and what resonates with you
- Contribute content to the newsletter (why not share your 5 links for grokking that thing that lights you up?)
- Consider being a guest on the podcast
- Become a Grokkist Supporter and show your support for just NZD$27/yr
- Get in touch if you want to work with me to bring your idea for an exciting learning experience to life
- Volunteer to help out with admin, social media, content production, marketing etc, or whatever you're good at. I can use all the help I can get.